Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Awake and ready

Last night proved to me that there is a lot of work that still needs to be done,  I spent my time yesterday lifting boxes and helping people sort donations, and throwing garbage and moving food donations around.  I am used to physical labor, but the humidity of the south is tough.  The people of the south are a tough group of individuals.  They can endure hurricanes, tornadoes, and a humidity level that can reach over 150% (which I did not believe was possible).
As I was working at the warehouse with other volunteers from all over, the news came that rescue workers had found children in the rubble that were no longer with us.  It is this kind of news that can be touch.  I worked with a woman, who told me that there was also a body up in a tree, but not approachable yet do to rubble and other damages.  These stories seem to be coming in all the time.  The news down here is always reminding the people about the damage, and the fact is there is a lot of donations, but the people helping out and giving their time will soon fall on the shoulders of the people of Tuscaloosa.  The Red Cross is everywhere, and different organizations are coming and going, but eventually they will leave and move on to other places.  The damage and destruction  that these people have to face will last for a long time.  This is on the minds of the people and in their conversation all the time.  I have been helping and dinning with these people, and I try to keep on conversations like weather, sports, and even politics (which is easier to talk about then what they are going threw).
One lady told me that the insurance company needed to see her car so she could claim the damage, but she believes her car is somewhere in another county.  I've been told people's homes are now just concrete slabs, but there are places here where they are collecting personal documents and pictures that people can get if theses things have been found. I have more pics coming andinformation, but I needed for helping right now.  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment