Sunday, May 8, 2011

World BRIDGES Catastrophy Relief Service, Helping on site.

Welcome to World BRIDGES Catastrophe Relief Service, Non-profit.  Hello, My Name is Todd Grube.  I am writing this from the Red Cross Ground zero location in Tuscaloosa AL.  We are here to help the victims of the devastating Tornadoes that hit this city and the surrounding areas on April 28, 2011. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/28/Tuscaloosa-Alabama-tornado-video-2011_n_854811.html
I am Writing this in BRIDGES Catastrophe Relief Van at Belk Center Parks and Recreation Building.  There is about 300 people displaced at this location. 
The victims of the Tornado are sleeping on cots in the GYM, and also share the same eating space.  I am here volunteering with food prep, and any other task that is needed.  I am also helping as a translator for the Give+ Tuscaloosa organization, as a Spanish Translator.
There are people that have come to volunteer from all over the country, including Germany.  It is quite a sight to see.  For all these people and all this stress of the disaster, this place is working smoothly and the energy is positive.  It was a sobering mother's Day.  The people came to breakfast and the mothers were greeted with a single pink flower.  I started working at 6:30 am, helping with the breakfast rush.  After which I helped with Lunch, then went to the Catholic Church and helped translate in Spanish for the Free Clinic.  The medical staff came with pharmaceutical donations from Birmingham AL.  I helped in Check people in and translated for the nursing staff.  I met a man named Pedro from Oaxaca Mexico, that escaped into the bathroom with his co-workers, as the tornado ripped half the restaurant away in seconds, He escaped death, but he was not left without injuries.  I can tell you my Mouth dropped when I saw his pictures that he took with his phone.
I have been treated so well by the people that are victims and volunteering here.  It is amazing to see people come together after a disaster.  I find my self working harder and being more tires then I have ever felt working a hard day back in Colorado.  I spent a lot of time just listening to people today, and their stories.  This is a place were some of the strongest emotional people I've ever met.  I am always amazed how people come together during hardships.
I am gifted with the ability to gab, and the people seem to enjoy my positive energy.  I feel this is were I can make a difference in others lives.  This is not emotionally the easiest thing to do, but the victims and volunteers reinforce the reason why it is so important to be here.  Every one is so thankful for my help.  I thank them for giving me purpose in life.  Tomorrow will be another 13 hour day of volunteering.  To all those who read this, PLEASE KEEP THE PEOPLE OF THESE HORRIBLE TORNADOES IN YOUR HEARTS AND MINDS.  If there is any thing that you can do, please do it.  Hug your neighbors and friends, because you never know when you may have to ask or share in a devastating event together.  Day TWO of the Alabama tornado BRIDGES relief service.  Signing out.
Todd.     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment